February 10, 2009

Play on Words

Have you noticed that certain words that meant one thing...mean something entirely different now.... Like "gay", used to be happy.. now it is reference to sexual preferences. Or "sick" used to mean you were heaving in the toilet, and now it means cool.... Why or how do these changes happen? Is there just some guy walking down the street and he decides to start calling cool people.. sick !! I don't get it. :) Thus, has been the topic in my classroom this past week. Lately, I have noticed that the boys love to call each other "douche". Now, I have let this slide for awhile, cause well... as a high school teacher you have to pick your battles.. or you get tired real fast. So, I haven't said anything to them, but finally I was so sick of hearing the word.. I finally said, "Do you guys know what that is?" They all kinda looked at me... DUH?? So, I didn't have the heart to explain it to them.. so I showed them one of my favorite 80's commercials... Ha.. this is a classic !! You 80's teeny boppers.. will get a kick out of it. Well, after laughing hysterically, and making grossed out faces, and finally realizing what they were calling each other.. the "douche" calling has stopped. Sometimes all it takes to fix a play on words is an old classic commercial. :) So to the kid that started the whole "douche" word... take that !!






5 comments:

The Dudley Bunch said...

Oh my freaking hilarious. You are sick...as in cool.

jenniho ♥ said...

That is really too funny!! I was teaching primary music the other sunday and in the hymn 'how firm a foundation' it says 'his excellent word'...the word excellent always reminds me of Bill and Ted...I have a hard time referencing it to the scriptures! I shared my knowledge of Bill & Ted with the primary...I'm such a child of the eighties.

Palmer Family said...

Oh, my HECK!!! That is freakin' hilarious!!! I LOVE it!!!

Andee said...

All I can say is WOW!! Thank heavens they have a cool teacher to save them from their illiterate ways!!! :)

Jenna said...

way to seize a teaching moment! They'll never forget when they learned all about the douche.