April 23, 2009

The Shack of Our Souls


I got done reading "The Shack" by William Young. I can't even begin to tell you how amazing it was. Honestly, it touched my soul. I bahled !!! It is so beautifully written. I implore you all to read it ! If you have ever been mad, or hurt, or alone, or in pain.. a pain that has racked your very soul.. read this book. If you love your family, your god, nature... read this book. If you have faith, lack faith, want more, want less.... read this book. If you want love, or love to hate... read this book. If you want to forgive, or need to be forgiven.... read this book. I am speechless... for once in my life. It is just mind blowing... and you know what is funny.. it isn't like anything I haven't heard or read before. The author just puts it in a way that will forever reside in the shack of your soul. I have included some of my favorite passages... there were so many... this is only a few. But, by far my favorite is what he says at the beginning... "All us stumblers who believe 'Love' rules. Stand up and let it shine." This book will forever shine for me !!


"Oh child," spoke Papa tenderly. "Don't ever discount the wonder of your tears. They can be healing waters and a stream of joy. Sometimes they are the best words the heart can speak"

"Forgiveness is not about forgetting, Mack. It is about letting go of another person's throat."

"Mackenzie, the pattern of color and light is unique to each person; no two are alike and no pattern is ever the same twice. Here, we are able to see each other truly, and part of seeing means that individual personality and emotion is visible in color and light."

"So, I will see you again?" he asked hesitantly. "Of course. You might see me in a piece of art, or music, or silence, or through people, or in Creation, or in your joy and sorrow. My ability to communicate is limitless, living and transforming, and it will always be tuned to Papa's goodness and love."

"Love that is forced is no love at all."

"Does that mean," asked Mack, "that all roads will lead to you?" "Not at all," smiled Jesus as he reached for the door handle to the shop. "Most roads don't lead anywhere. What it does mean is that I will travel any road to find you."

"I've been talking to you for a long time, but today was the first time you could hear it, and all those other times weren't a waste, either. Like little cracks in the wall, one at a time, but woven together they prepared you for today. You have to take the time to prepare the soil if you want it to embrace the seed."

"The darkness hides the true size of fears and lies and regrets," Jesus explained."The truth is they are more shadow that reality, so they seem bigger in the dark. When the light shines into the places they live inside you, you start to see them for what they are."

"Because you don't believe. You don't know that we love you. The person who lives by their fears will not find freedom in my love. I am not talking about rational fears regarding legitimate dangers, but imagined fears, and especially the projection of those into the future."


"I don't need to punish people for sin. Sin is its own punishment, devouring you from the inside. It's not my purpose to punish it; it's my joy to cure it."




5 comments:

Jenna said...

YAY! thanks Tam. I always love book recommendations and this one sounds like a doozy :)

Andee said...

Wow- sounds good! I have one for ya- UnCommon by Tony Dungee- he's an NFL coach and this book is amazing!! Got it on Wed and I am almost done already and you know how I am with reading! You'll love it!

The Dudley Bunch said...

ooh good, i just started this book...can't wait!

::Preppy Principal:: said...

I bought this book after your review and I LOVE IT! Thanks Tam!

jenandjustin said...

I was just told about this book a couple of weeks ago. Heard it was a MUST read. Now I really better get on it. Thanks!