May 05, 2008

IT'S TRADITION



Being a teacher at Dixie High School ... you learn the phrase "It's a Tradition" very quickly. The school has been around since 1913, thus, there are many things that are carried on from the olden days. One of my favorites.... is the bucket run. Every year the senior class sets up a course and pulley system to get the original paint bucket from our school to the red mountain.... where "Dixie" is painted. This year, I got to be a part of it. It was a blast, and brought "Dixie Pride" to my heart. My favorite thing about it was how we as teachers lower our students down the side of the mountain to paint on it. One of the girls was a professional repeller and questioned the tactics being used to lower people over the side. To be honest, so did I. But, we just all replied in unison... "It's a Tradition". She nodded her head and went over using World War II ropes and stirrups with a smile on her face. C'mon .... tradition is the best. I loved it !!!


The senior class sings the school hymn. Yes, even annoying teeny boppers have tender moments. These are usually the moments I cherish the most as a teacher.

No comments: