December 04, 2008

A Belated Thank You

As I thought about what I was thankful for this Thanksgiving season.. I couldn't help but think of one of the students at my school. It is hard at times to not be sad because of life.. or things that happen to us.. or things that we have done. But, I think that what is important is how we react to these trials or hardships that determines who we are and what we will become. One of the students in our severe unit obviously has trials and hardships. The day before thanksgiving I went into visit his teacher and got to witness something that opened my eyes to what is hard in life. Life is as hard as we make it and how we react to it. Andrew is in a wheelchair, can't talk... has hardships obviously.... As I sat there chatting with him... he just started to laugh. He laughed out loud for a good minute. It was music to my ears.. and soul. It made me realize that although I have hardships.. there are others out there that have harder ones.. and that I should be grateful for the hardships I have because they make me who I am, and shape me to what I will become. We need to laugh more at life and in life... because without laughter and hardships... there is no joy. I like joy... joy is good... And through all of my thoughts. I was reminded of one quote that I love..
"I am like a huge, rough stone rolling down from a high mountain; and the only polishing I get is when some corner gets rubbed off by coming in contact with something else...knocking off a corner here and a corner there. Thus I will become a smooth and polished shaft in the quiver of the Almighty. " Joseph Smith... I hope to be a smooth, polished, shiny crystal..... Someday I will make it.... I am thankful for trials, laughter, Andrew, and Joseph Smith... and for my crystal :>)

3 comments:

Takael said...

Thats awesome tam, I started to get tears in my eyes because it made me think of my sister. I love it when she just starts laughing and also the thousands of hugs she has to give me every time she sees me. We all have our trials but we will all get through them. Hope your doing great. Miss you and Love you!

Jessica said...

Amen to that sista! Once again I am inspired and uplifted by your blog!

Andee said...

Good one- I agree!! And I loved the quote!!