May 03, 2009

D-Day: A 24 Hr. Tradition

Well another year has come and gone.. and "D" Day at the school I teach at came upon us fast !! As Senior Class Advisor, I got to be more involved in it this year. It was a lot of work... in fact I pulled a 16 hour day on Thursday.. and Friday had to be back at 6 am !! Ha !! I was exhausted.. but again.. wouldn't change what I do for the world. The traditions embedded at my school are priceless. So even though I spend more than 24 hours, in one sitting, overseeing them... I was happy to do it. I think you will see some of the spirit of what I get to be apart of in the pictures below... I am lucky !!.. and tired. :)


After the run, and the olympics... the Seniors gather together in our auditorium to enjoy "The Senior Showoff". Seniors sign up to show off some of their talents to their fellow classmates. This year Max and I got to MC the assembly, and enjoyed being dorks on stage. Their were some great talents from singing, dancing.. to playing the piano backwards ... :) It never ceases to amaze me how talented our teeny boppers are.





After "The Bucket Run", the kids and teachers that have earned a "Diamond D" repel over the side of the mountain to paint the "Dixie" on the "Sugar Loaf". It is surreal... to sit on the red rock overlooking beautiful St. George as the sun rises, and watch kids and teachers that have put in countless hours, repel over to paint a long cherished word that is all in our hearts !! Someday it will be me !! I hate heights.. so I am glad it is a way off :) This year Fonnes went over the mountain. He has been teaching at Dixie forever... and I loved to see the smile on his painted face after he completed this time honored tradition !!





The night before "The Bucket Run", the Seniors, put together "The Carbo Load". It is their last dinner together and they stock up on carbs. This year my Senior Council served up spaghetti with red sauce, meatballs, and chicken alfredo. Shelly's mom made some homemade alfredo, and chocolate sauce. Kelby's mom made some kick butt breadsticks..
YUMMY !!





This is just a glimpse of the awesome tradition of taking the bucket from our high school to the sugar loaf. I absolutely love it !! This class did not break the record time held by the 2005 class.. I was rooting for them though.. They worked their butts off !!





3 comments:

Jenna said...

wow- they really do have some fun traditions. Maybe we'd better move to The George for Mia's high school experience. You could help us keep an eye on her :)

Andee said...

Wow- really cool. I love to see kids pull together and do things like that- gets me all misty!! :)

Karly Barker said...

I must admit I get the goose bumps every time! I love it!