March 05, 2010

Lunch Dates... Baby Steps


To make a long story short, and to not beat a dead horse.... My mom hurt me pretty bad about four years ago. A lot has happened since then good and bad. For awhile I couldn't see her, but I decided this year I would start taking baby steps to get back what we had before it all happened. It's funny how you think that so much has changed cause of events that have taken place, but in all honesty they haven't. My mom has psychosis dementia.. at least that is what they call it. But, the more time I spend with her... the more I heal... and the more it is the same between us as it was. She might not remember everything, but it seems there is a familiarity within her that reaches out to me to make me feel at ease with her. I don't know if it will ever honestly be exactly the same... but at this point I don't really care. I am enjoying talking to her and teasing her like we used to. As she got out of the car last week.. she turned and looked at me and said, "LUFF YOU" in a constipated voice. :) It is something we used to say to each other long ago. Two words, said in a familiar way... can heal a hole in a heart. The baby steps I am taking might someday turn into giant leaps... but for now these small steps are enjoyable... I am just glad that I am finally stepping towards her.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

oh my gosh Tam, the constipated voice!!!! hahahahahahaha that was funny